Sunday, October 15, 2017

JEHOVAH

Isn’t it amazing that there is no one single name that can completely describe the greatness of Who God is?  Yet God, Who is so magnificent, desires that we know Him intimately and in the fullness of Who He is. The more extensive our understanding of God’s greatness, the more we become in awe of Him.

One of God’s names is Jehovah. This name appears in the bible more than any other. The name Jehovah comes from the name Yahweh and has been considered by the Jewish people to be too holy to speak or to write. When scribes would translate the Old Testament manuscripts, they would remove the vowels and only write YHWH. This was a name that filled the Jewish people with awe because they realized the worthiness and holiness of the name. It saddens my heart when I see how today God’s name has been reduced to a slang phrase that is carelessly spoken and used almost in a comedic way.(OMG)

There are several dimensions to the name Jehovah. Jehovah is derived from the Hebrew word that means “to be” or to become. He is the self-existent Creator Who always has been and always will be. He Himself was not created, He always was and is.  When Moses was going to speak to the Israelites in behalf of God, he asked God Who should I say that You are? Exodus 3:14-15
14 God replied to Moses, “I am who I am. Say this to the people of Israel: I am has sent me to you.” 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is My eternal name, My name to remember for all generations.”  In essence God was and still is saying, “I am that I am. I am the self-sufficient One. I am everything you will ever need. I am with you. I am eternal. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. This name, Jehovah, declares the absolute existence of God and reveals Him as the dependable, faithful God Who desires the full trust of His people.

God is saying those same words to us today.  “I am all that you need. Won’t you TRUST ME?”

No comments:

Post a Comment